Fort St George is an important and marvelous landmark in Chennai. Fort St George or historically, White Town is the name of the first British fortress in India, founded in 1639 at the coastal city of Madras (modern city of Chennai). This fort was completed on April 23, coinciding with St. George’s Day, celebrated in honor of St. George, the patron saint of England. Fort St. George is located on the banks of Bay of Bengal. It was built by the British East India Company in 1640 AD. The fort is believed to be the first establishment of the British in India. Towards the end of the 17th century, the East India Company was established by the British their main aim behind this was trade and economic activities. After this, the company was looking for a permanent trading station.
St. George Fort has a number of other worth watching monuments within its boundaries. St. Mary’s Church, situated in the fort, is one of the oldest surviving churches built by the British in India. The fort houses Saint Mary’s Church and fort museum. Saint Mary’s Church the oldest Anglican Church built in 1680 and the tombstones in its courtyard are the oldest British tombstones in India. Thick massive walls and moats surround the fort. Fort St George houses several interesting monuments, which include St. Mary’s Church (the oldest Anglican Church built in 1680), Fort Museum and the tombstones in the courtyard.